Today was the 2nd day of this trek. I really am so impressed with these kids. Alot of them didn't want to come and vowed they would not dance in the hoe down tonight. Well they did! and had so much fun. Elder Petersen took some movies of them dancing, but I can't seem to figure out how to post the movies. It doesn't work. But anyway, I love being here. The spirit is on this ranch of those stalwart pioneers and the sacrifice they made to go to Zion. I love their stories and can feel their spirits here with these kids.
Getting ready to leave. Quite the feat considering there are over 200 in this group.
They have a devotional every morning. and this group also sang Come come Ye saints before leaving. I teared up just thinking of those beautiful, strong members of the Church.
The sky here is so beautiful.
Some of these kids are so small. They look about 10 years old. They are 12 and up.
I like this picture. There is a happy spirit that I see in their faces. The pioneers also had alot of fun and alot of groups made it into the Salt Lake Valley safely. The Martin and Willie companies left to late in the season and that is why so many of them died.
This is hoe down. Elder Norgren called it and he is so good at it. Wish I could put the videos in here of him calling this, But pictures are going to have to do.
Very inventive how they used their tarps to make a shelter to sleep under. It is interesting to see how each "family" put up their shelter and used their handcart to start with.
Quite the group. The kids of this dispensation are very strong and I'm sure these treks are to help them to prepare for the second coming of Christ. Their are treks all over the world now. Australia, Japan, Vietnam and all over the United States. I love that thought. President Hinckley saw this ranch and wanted to buy it, but was told by the budget committee that it wouldn't be profitable etc. After asking them three times to buy it, he finally told them "Just buy it!" and look at us now. 11,000-12,000 kids will go through here this summer. That is alot of youth to help realize their heritage and be more thankful for what they have and feel the spirit of those wonderful early pioneers and their strength and character. so inspiring,
This is Elder and Sister Nordgren. This is their last year here. So they have been very helpful to teach us the ropes!


No comments:
Post a Comment