Saturday, August 1, 2015

End of Trek number 8

August 1, 2015

Today was the last day of this trek. It was quite an adventure!  From hearing from the Stake President before they left this morning (very inspirational) and seeing a Cougar skull and a bear hide that Elder Kennedy brought to show them down the trail a bit.  The kids had five miles to hike out today and they took their time doing it. Had one young man that needed to find the medical vehicle down at staging, so I took him and one of the nurses and boogied on down. Trying to find my way back is another story. I still do not have the trails in my mind so I know where I'm going. But I found them and boy was I happy!  The ranch is so massive and we trek on about 20,000 acres . There are five different trails and I can't keep them straight for the life of me. Maybe next year!  here are some pictures from today.
 This is my view from the back. I love to go along the handcarts and spray everyone with water. They love it and call me the best Missionary ever!  I have loved meeting all of these special kids.

 This is Jen and Sandy. They were the nurses for this group and walked with them the whole way. Very special woman. Jen (on the left) told me that she has been inactive. She works every other Sunday at the Hospital Nicu . She said that she had not felt the spirit this strong in a long time and she decided watching Elder Petersen and I that she wanted to have that when she is older. To be able to go on a mission and have valiant children. We both cried. I gave her a handcart necklace. We find someone on each trek that we connect with and she was that person for me. Someone also told me that she had lost 150 pounds. She is a very happy, beautiful woman and an inspiration to me.

 Sandy on the right was the nurse that had the wild ride with me trying to find the group. Got to know her well and she has quite a story. She started back to school to become a nurse at the age of 43. She was divorced and raising 4 children. She has now remarried and is very happy. This is the part of the mission that I love. Each group has such diverse and unique people and most of them take time off from work to come with these kids. So admirable and inspiring,

 This is Brother and Sister Glade. They are the Pa and Ma to this group and by him is Austin. This boy had a alot of fun and they really sacrificed to have him in their family.  At one point he just sat down and they couldn't get him up. They finally lifted him up and pulled his feet down and walked him to where I was in the Ranger.  We rode down to where the Support Vehicles were so we could find his dad. He spent some time with his dad and was ready to go again. He walked most of the trek.  So neat,.  I gave them a handcart necklace for sister Glade and a handcart tie tac for Brother Glade. They were very special people.

                  ,Last view of this group before they arrived in staging and rode out. Loved this group!

No comments:

Post a Comment